iReport is a program that helps users and developers that use the JasperReports library to visually design reports.
Through a rich and very simple to use GUI, iReport provides all the most important functions to create nice reports in little time. iReport can help people that don't know the JasperReports library create complex reports and learn the XML syntax, taking a look to the generated code. iReport can help skilled report designers compose very complex pages, saving a lot of time. iReport is written in Java.
Short History of iReport
iReport is a visual designer for JasperReports. But What's JasperReports? JasperReports is the best (IMHO) open source reporting engine available for java community. It is developed by a small big genius called Teodor Danciu. JasperReports has always had one lack: it doesn't provide an adapted tool to visually design reports. JasperReports has hundred of features; possibilities of use are infinitely... a person that does not have much confidence with the XML could have some problems to take fully advantage from the JasperReports library.
The Main Features of iReport
The following list describes some of the important characteristics of iReport:
• 98% of JasperReports tags supported
• Visual designer wysiwyg with tools for draw rectangles, lines, ellipses, text fields fields, charts, sub reports...
• Built-in editor with syntax highlighting for write expression
• Support for Unicode and non Latin language (Russian, Chinese, Korean,...)
• Document structure browser
• Integrated compiler and exporter
• Support of all JDBC compliant databases
• Support of all kind of JRDataSource
• Wizard to create automatically reports
• Support for sub reports
• Save backup
• Support for templates
• Facilities for fonts
Download, Install and Run iReport
iReport comes as a zip archive or exe for windows. It contains the main distribution files (classes and source), some templates for wizards, and all additional required jars.
Download iReport from SourceForge.net.
To install iReport on a Windows platform:
Start iReport using the menu item
Programs menu > JasperSoft > iReport
If you are using a Mac or a Linux box, consider to download iReport-
1. iReport Documentation, http://www.jasperforge.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.ireport/wiki/IReportManualV1.2.1, Date accessed 15 July 2008
2. Getting Started, http://www.jasperforge.org/jaspersoft/opensource/business_intelligence/ireport/page.php?id=5 , Date accessed on 15 July 2008